There are no words to express how grateful I am that God has blessed me to be a mom and work from home! It is the greatest thrill to be able to be the one who takes care of your babies and who witnesses the “firsts” instead of hearing about them from another! This is my absolute dream come true!
I often think about all of the things I knew about parenting before I ever even thought of trying to conceive. Here are a few before vs. after thoughts that I’ve had:
- BEFORE: Stay/work at home moms are lazy and sit around watching TV all day. I could NEVER be one! I would always “contribute” to our household just as my husband does.
- AFTER: SAHM/WAHM’s have the most exhausting, difficult, yet rewarding job on earth! Not only do they “contribute”, what they do carries far beyond any monetary value could reach! It’s a 24/7 constant, ongoing privilege. (Also, in many cases, staying home can save the family TONS on daycare/babysitting costs.)
- BEFORE: I will never allow my child to cry or fuss in public!
- AFTER: LMAO! As if you could control it!! If a baby/toddler wants to cry or fuss, there’s just no stopping it! Unless you’re willing to shove sugar down their throat, which can actually lead to further issues.
- BEFORE: I will absolutely never co-sleep! It leads to needy kids with attachment issues.
- AFTER: My daughter slept with us until she was a year and a half because it created the best sleep for everyone. My son lasted 7 months and ended up getting the most rest on his own. Each child is different. You have to do what you know will provide each person with the best rest. Research before you judge and go with your gut.
- BEFORE: I won’t keep my child rear facing past a year of age.
- AFTER: Seriously?!?! After research I discovered it’s FIVE TIMES safer! Proven! Five times less likely to result in death! No contest! We rear face to the max!
- BEFORE: No juice, candy, chocolate, cookies or any other unnatural, unhealthy, or refined sugars!
- AFTER: Although I try very hard to limit refined sugar, every kid has been given the “shut up” sugars! It’s inevitable. If you haven’t, stop reading my blog. We aren’t cool anymore.
- BEFORE: I will never let my kids swish their hands around in our toilet water!
- AFTER: This one still stands, although it has occurred in the 60 seconds that it takes for me to grab a load from the dryer. My bad! (Calm down mom! I thoroughly doused her in antibacterial soap and she didn’t die! I’m a good mom still! Chill!)
It’s amazing how your assumptions about parenting can change once you actually become one! I wish I could go back in time and tell the younger me what parenting is actually all about! I’d also mention that she should stop complaining about her beautiful figure and enjoy it more! That she should be naked more. Actually just walk around naked for a day because that stuff is all going south after kids!
So what are some before vs. after situations that you’ve experienced?