Piggy Paint Review/Giveaway

If you have a toddler and they’ve seen you paint your nails, there’s pretty much no way to avoid the pleads for “pretty nails” of their own. I have been painting my daughter’s nail since she was just an infant so she’s an old pro and absolutely adores our special time together to do our fingers and toes. I have to admit, I’ve always been a bit concerned by how much of this toxic polish she actually ingests. Our little finger eaters tend to take flakes of nail polish down with their grapes and cheesy fish crackers. We may never know for sure the effects this might have on their bodies, but why risk it? So rather than deny my princess her special beauty treat, I contacted the wonderful people over at Piggy Paint to see if they’d allow me to review their non toxic nail polish. They generously agreed!

<3

I received an adorable “Pink-a-Boo” gift set consisting of 3 Piggy Paint colors, Mer-maid in the Shade (Blue), LOL (Pink), and Peace of Cake (Creamy Orange). The gift set came in a cute pink drawstring bag and retails for $24.99.

Cute packaging!

Cute packaging!

 

Up close "Pink-a-Boo" colors. So vibrant!

Up close “Pink-a-Boo” colors. So vibrant!

As soon as I unwrapped this set and my Doodlebug caught a glimpse it was on! “Cai hab it! Pwees! Cai hab it? I hod it? Pweeeees!” Needless to say, we were testing these polishes straight out of the package. I couldn’t get her to choose just one of the gorgeous bright colors so we did all three!

Very girlie!

Very girlie!

Cute!

Cute!

All 3 colors for this little lady!

All 3 colors for this little lady!

Me sporting 2 coats of each!

Me sporting 2 coats of each!

 

My initial impression was a positive one! I am a frugal mama. This is no secret. So naturally, I buy the cheap $1-$2 nail polishes at my local drugstore. They typically take 2-3 coats to achieve the color I thought I was buying. Not Piggy Paint! This stuff takes 1 coat to show the full, radiant color! What about that strong smell we’re all familiar with? Not with Piggy Paint! It had a very faint scent that reminded me of my paints back in elementary school, but I really had to get my sniffer in there to smell that! It dried rather quickly, since I only needed 1 coat, and stayed on pretty much the same as the toxic stuff. By that I mean it did still flake off when she ate with her fingers and over the next couple of days, but I went a full 5 days with the same paint to show how it wears with a very tactile toddler.

You can see typical chipping from 5 days of wear, but not bad!!

You can see typical chipping from 5 days of wear, but not bad!! It’s worse on her right hand as that’s her dominant one.

Piggy Paint recommends the following for the longest, strongest result:

  • Wash hands with soap and water.
  • Apply 2 -3 thin coats of Piggy Paint.
  • Air dry 60 seconds.
  • Blow dry polished nails for 1 minute with hair dryer set on warm heat/low blower setting.

When I followed these recommendations we did have a bit more wear than before, so the extra coat and blow dryer do seem to help! However, even the first application was equal to previous regular nail polishes and that’s fine by me since it’s all we’ve ever known.

When I read that Melanie Hurley, the founder and creator of Piggy Paint, discovered that the regular polishes she painted her daughter’s nails with ate through foam plates, I was so concerned about what my daughter may have been ingesting!

Piggy Paint vs solvent based polish. What the what?!?

Piggy Paint vs solvent based polish. What the what?!?

Using Piggy Paint gives me piece of mind, knowing I’m doing what’s safest for my daughter without sacrificing her health, safety or fun! I couldn’t be more pleased with these polishes!

So who want’s a $15 gift certificate for Piggy Paint??? Enter our Rafflecopter below for your chance to win!!

Open to everyone, WORLDWIDE!! Ends 5/17/2013
a Rafflecopter giveaway

GUYS!! On a side note, my daughter got into my nail polishes 2 days ago and all of a sudden learned to open them! It took her less than 10 minutes to cover herself, her brother and our room in polish!! It got everywhere, but what’s worse it was in their mouths!

408488_10151402420763263_1598062166_n 603607_10151402420938263_842040939_n 947346_10151402420683263_283873323_n

 

OH how I wish it had been Piggy Paint instead of my solvent based polish! It would have been easier to clean and I wouldn’t have had to call poison control in a panic! Boo…

 

*Disclaimer* I was given this product, free of charge, in exchange for my honest views and opinions which were in no way paid for or influenced by anyone.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s