Well, that depends on your definition of “no poo”.
I started with the absolute strike on all forms of shampoo/conditioner/hair products. About 5 days in I was desperate for something, so I went to a baking soda solution for shampoo and an apple cider vinegar solution for conditioner. I was pretty ok for another week, but then I needed more. My hair had become VERY heavy and sort of waxy in feel and texture. It held onto curl and style like never before, but the trade off wasn’t enough for me. I knew my hair was in transition and didn’t want to give up. After 5 weeks without improvement, I decided to find a more natural shampoo option that might help reduce some of the heavy oils without totally stripping my hair and scalp which would just send the previous 5 week’s work down the drain…literally. So here’s what I want reduced dramatically or removed all together:
- Sulfates- Those wonderful, foamy, sudsy bubbles that leave you feeling crisp and clean. Ya, those are no good! In fact, very little to no lather is what we should be seeking. Sulfates strip your hair of the natural oils which causes an over production of oils, which leads to more shampoo usage. It’s a vicious cycle! (Said in my best “Fat Bastard” impression.)
- Parabens- There’s just not enough research to make me comfortable using products that contain parabens, which are possibly linked to cancer. Not indefinitely proven to be, but I’ll air on the side of caution for myself and my family!
- Phthalates- Speculated to be involved in many developmental and reproductive disorders as well as a possible cause of many birth defects…no thanks!
- Surfactants- Another foaming agent. Although I’d like to steer clear of these altogether, I’m ok with certain mild, naturally derived ones in small quantities and find that even when products claim they’re free of surfactants, they still exist in one form or another through other ingredients.
- Alcohol- There are two types of alcohol. The short chain and the long chain. Short chain alcohols are bad. These include ethanol, SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, Alcohol denat, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol. These dry hair out! Then there are the long chain, fatty alcohols. They include Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol and aren’t bad for your hair. Check the label!
- Formaldehyde- Do I really need to explain this one? Ewe.
These are just the main culprits of dry, oil-less hair that I’ve tried to eliminate throughout my “no poo” journey. I’ve found quite a few wonderful shampoo products that help you gain that cleaner feel without stripping away the natural oils or being potentially harmful to me or my kids. I will be highlighting several this week in reviews, as well as hosting a couple of giveaways so hang out and check back tomorrow and throughout the week to see how they fared and enter to win some to try yourself!!